1. Ariau Amazon Towers Hotel. Brazilian Amazon.
Located 35 miles from Manaus, a bustling city considered the gateway to the Brazilian Amazon, this eco-lodge was among the originators of treehouse getaways. Climb stairways, and scoot across catwalks as you make your way to your leafy retreat. Enroute linger to observe monkeys at play, the rich vegetation, butterflies and views of the Rio Negro below. Don’t miss the chance to embark on an excursion that offers the opportunity to swim with the region’s pink dolphins.
Contact: (888) 462-7428; www.ariauamazontowers.com/
2. Edisto River Treehouses. Canadys, SC.
You’ll commute 13 miles via the longest, free-flowing black water river in North American to reach your treetop hideaway. But of course, that is part of the experience. Carolina Heritage Outfitters offer overnights in three treehouses, tucked in the woods of the privately owned Edisto River Refuge. You’ll want to explore along this lazy waterway that winds through tupelo and cypress swamps. Later, return to your leafy refuge to cook dinner on an outdoor grill via the soft light of tiki torches and candles. Best for older children and adults.
Contact: Contact: (843) 563-5051; www.canoesc.com.
3. Vertical Horizons Treehouses. Cave Junction, OR.
In addition to sleeping in a treetop paradise, kids will enjoy learning a new kind of tree climbing at this southern Oregon outpost. Roped for safety, youngsters of all ages are supported to explore the canopy as high as 90 feet. Gourmet breakfast crafted from local ingredients is included in your stay. After fueling up, enjoy nearby hiking, white-water rafting or relaxing in the serene setting.
Contact: 541-592-4751; www.TreehouseParadise.com.
4. Hana Lani Treehouses. Hana, Maui, HI.
Travel the magnificent Road To Hana and reward yourselves with a family-friendly tree house stay from which you can enjoy the beauty of this pristine region of the Hawaiian Islands. Rustic but comfortable, the tree houses offer screened sleeping areas, linens, running water and views of the ocean over the treetops. Cook on a propane stove or over the barbecue pit. Contact: 808-248-7241; www.TreehousesofHawaii.com.
5. Treehouse Villas. Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa. Lake Buena Vista, FLA. Combine the magical imagery of Swiss Family Robinson-style sleep-overs with a vacation at a Disney Resort and your children just might nominate you for parent of the year. The three-bedroom villas on stilts offer a spacious and comfortable environment in which to enjoy a large family or extended-clan gathering in Mouse country. Shuttles to and from the Walt Disney World theme park and other attractions are available.
Contact: (407) 939-7429; www.DisneyWorld.com (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/saratoga-springs-resort-and-spa/)