Can't make it to the spa this month?
Eat healthy now and book a stay later!
Canyon Ranch (Massachusetts)
Quinoa & Endive Salad
1 cup dry quinoa
3 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup carrots, julienne
1/4 cup diced red or yellow bell peppers
2 tablespoons diced red onions
2 tablespoons dried currants (or raisins)
2 tablespoons crushed almonds
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon chopped mint
3 ounces Belgium endive
1. Preheat toaster oven to 375°.
2. Rinse quinoa thoroughly. Lightly coat a baking sheet with canola oil spray. Spread quinoa evenly on sheet. Toast for 5 minutes or until golden.
3. In a medium saucepan, over high heat, bring water to a boil and add toasted quinoa. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until all liquid has been absorbed. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl, toss together carrots, bell peppers, onions, currants or raisins and almonds.
5. In a small bowl, combine all ingredients for dressing.
6. Add quinoa and dressing to bowl with vegetables and stir together until well combined.
7. Place 3 endive leaves on a plate and top with 1/2 cup quinoa salad. Repeat for remaining salads.
Makes 16 servings, each containing approximately:
85 calories, 10 gm. carbohydrate, 4 gm. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 3 gm protein, 46 mg. sodium, 1 gm fiber