Will you be making fruit pies for your holiday parties?
Consider these tips for baking the perfect double crust from the pros at Magnolia Bakery.
1. Wait to add sugar until just before you are ready to add your fruit to the pie. Otherwise, your pie filling will be too watery.
2. After you roll your bottom layer crust, brush a thin layer of egg white wash over the bottom and sides.
3. When you add the fruit to the pie pan make sure to “mound” it – gently press together so you create a snug, generously portioned pile of fruit.
4. When adding the top crust, once again, press your dough toward the center over the fruit. This allows the dough to “drop” during baking.
5. Be sure to cut or prick the top dough to vent some of the steam. You can get creative here as well, just like we did for our Pi Day caramel apple hand pies!
6. A nice egg wash and sugar/cinnamon sprinkle adds a nice sparkle and continues to a browned crisp top.
7. Check your oven temperature with an oven thermometer. Conventional ovens are often off quite a few degrees, which means your pie could under or over bake easily. You don’t want to ruin all your hard work!